NJEA Local Prays for Christie’s Death

(Guest post by Greg Forster)

The Bergen County Education Association, a local chapter of the NJEA, recently circulated a memo praying for the death of Gov. Chris Christie:

Dear Lord this year you have taken away my favorite actor, Patrick Swayze, my favorite actress, Farrah Fawcett, my favorite singer, Michael Jackson, and my favorite salesman, Billy Mays. I just wanted to let you know that Chris Christie is my favorite governor.

But remember, it’s those horrible tea partiers who are vitriolic, hateful, unstable and potentially violent!

I’m not sure which is more embarrassing for the NJEA, the fact that their local is circulating memos praying for the governor’s death, or the fact that their local is headed by a person whose favorite actor is Patrick Swayze, favorite acress is Farrah Fawcett, and favorite singer is Michael Jackson.

HT Jim Geraghty

9 Responses to NJEA Local Prays for Christie’s Death

1. Gary says:

Greg,

Two quick thoughts — I have read variations of this and I am afraid that these people don’t really love Farrah!

However, to be serious, I agree with you that this is both embarrassing and mean-spirited, but I would like your point more without the sentence “But remember, it’s those horrible tea partiers who are vitriolic, hateful, unstable and potentially violent!”

Yes, this is crazy what the NJEA is doing, but it does not diminish the craziness of the radical side of teh tea party groups. Can’t they all be crazy??

My point was more to highlight the double standard for what counts as sufficient evidence that an organization or movement is crazy. I mean, in any crowd of thousands of people you’re going to have a couple of nutjobs, but none of the leaders of the tea party movement are actually circulating memos making jokes about Obama being killed.

3. Gary says:

Greg,

I would bet you are wrong on that last point … I bet there are lots of tea partiers circulating notes like that. You’ve got me on your side that the NJEA is not helpful and is in this case borderline kooky. The tea party folks still seem even crazier.

That was my point — I would have liked your post better if it didn’t imply that these guys were nuttier than tea partiers. I don’t think they are … and it distracted from the key point that I think both you and I would want to get across — this is a stupid and irresponsible thing for an organization that claims to be professional.

4. Douglas says:

I like the fact that the post exists, and won’t begrudge you that it’s not doing something right. I am glad that this stuff is pointed out at all.

Gary, please re-read my last comment more carefully, noting especially the word “evidence.” Your last comment, intended to rebut mine, actually vindicates it.

6. Brian says:

Gary’s comment doesn’t vindicate your claim because your claim was false. There are plenty of documented moments of tea party members acting “vitriolic, hateful, unstable, and potentially violent.” They may not make specific claims about killing Obama, simply because it is against the law, but we all know they come damn close. Do they come off as nutjobs? Plenty of the time, yes, they do. Do you really want to claim the tea party movement has better PR sense than teacher’s unions? You’re comparing one email (and questionably claiming it came from a “leader”) to the mass of cra

You also try to make a claim that this matters more because it was an email from a “leader,” but you can’t really call some county level nobody a leader, can you?

It really was a distraction to bring them into your post.

7. Brian says:

What the *&#!@? Somehow my comment wnet up before I was done. Oh well, I think my point has been made. Here’s a video compilation of some tea party PR. I Don’t think you can unearth one from a teacher’s union rally that compares.

8. Gary says:

Greg,

I agree with Brian .. all I was trying to say was .. “I like your post, but would like it better if …” you didn’t include that one piece that might lead (and in fact did) to a discussion over who’s crazier.

We could argue about who’s crazier, and I might well win the argument. But it STILL does not undermine your correct point that the NJEA should not do this.

Gary

9. I want to see an original scan of that memo that is proof positive.

I think YOU LIE.

That email was circulating about BARACK OBAMA and I believe you just made this up.

Prove me wrong or STFU, LIAR.