I’ll Have What Florida Charter Schools are Having

Florida’s charter schools totally crushed the ball on the 2013 NAEP Reading test- an 11 point gain in 4th grade reading and a 5 point gain in 8th grade reading. As the number of charter schools in the state has gone up, the ability of NAEP to reliably sample them has improved.

Getting about as close to an “apples to apples” as you can get in the NAEP data by comparing only low-income general education students still shows huge gains and a big advantage for Florida charters to Florida district schools.

Florida charter 2013 NAEP

Advertisements

8 Responses to I’ll Have What Florida Charter Schools are Having

1. Mike says:

Reblogged this on This Got My Attention and commented:
    Interesting.

2. Lori says:

How do the Proficient or Better results look?

3. Steve says:

To say that charters “crushed the ball” is oversimplistic and overstated. I mean, these percentages aren’t exactly 85% to 45%. In fact, these stats reflect what they should reflect. Mr. Ladner, to call this an apples-to-apples comparison (or something close to it ) is not really accurate.

Just because schools are in the same neighborhood, it doesn’t mean they have similar populations. A closer study would be required to determined if they had similar proportions of ELL and special ed. It would have to identify attrition rates of the charters. Income may be the same but other factors could be significantly different.

• Steve says:

Also, you’re relationship with Jeb’s FEE is an indicator of bias. (That’s something that would be noted by my AP students who are required to identify the effect of point of view in primary documents.) I’m sure you could accuse me of having my own bias.

• Matthew Ladner says:

Steve-

The NAEP data explorer is open to everyone with an internet connection, please feel free to look the numbers up for yourself. An 11 point 4th grade reading gain means that 4th grade Florida charter students were reading at a level roughly equivalent to 5th grade charter students in 2011.

That qualifies as crushing the ball in my book. If however you manage to find other examples of such large increases during such a short time, please let me know.

4. Peter Ford says:

Since so many of my fellow Southern Californians love weekends in Vegas, I should put some money down on how long it takes the usual suspects to claim Florida’s charter schools ‘cheat’ or ‘skim the top students/kick out the bad ones’, or ‘ruthlessly test-prep’ their students.

5. mttb system says:

Hello, i think that i saw you visited my weblog thus i
    came to “return the favor”.I am attempting to find things
    to improve my web site!I suppose its ok to use some of your ideas!!