True to Her Traditions

Yale WWI

(Guest post by Greg Forster)

The monument pictured above is quite large and centrally located on the Yale campus. When you walk into a nearby building, you enter a small atrium of solid marble walls, covered from floor to ceiling with the inscribed names of Yale alumni who have died in military service for their country.

Neither the monument nor the atrium recieve any attention from the people who walk by them every day. Students sometimes take advantage of the monument’s prominent location by taping fliers to it advertising their beer-and-sex parties.

ROTC has been banned from Yale since 1969.

Happy Veterans Day.

6 Responses to True to Her Traditions

1. Matthewladner says:

OUCH!

What can I say? I wasn’t in the mood for gauzy sentiment this morning. I’ll post warm fuzzies about mom and apple pie when the Ivies quit spitting on the people who fight and die to preserve their right to spit on them.

3. Matthewladner says:

Amen brother!

4. allen says:

Freedom means the freedom to be a punk. You’ve just got to have a little faith.

I agree that freedom means the freedom to be a punk. It also includes the freedom to call out punks for what they are. That’s my only intention here. If Yale wants to spit on the people who fight and die to protect Yale’s right to spit on them, that’s their right. And it’s my right to say that they’re deeply wicked for doing so and are storing up a heavy reckoning in the moral balances.

• allen says:

Indeed. And I agree with you heartily. But some of the benefits of freedom have to be born since there’s no getting the good stuff without the bad.

So, I congratulate people like those who succeeded in getting ROTC banned from Yale for being smart enough to be born into a nation which protects their ingratitude and selfishness.